Automobilcorps


The First World War

The taking-over of motorised troops


Military driving license, Class II. Authorisation for a member of the Imperial motorised vehicle Corps. The courier serviceman had the task of ‘delivering messages, and in particular documents.’ Interesting to see the official stamp of the Kraftfahrcorps. This being used by the courier division.
Vic Diehl Collection


The standing of the members of the Imperial Voluntary Automobile Corps could be compared to a kind of service contract, at the beginning of the war. Payment would be made - the amount was discussed in so much detail at the members meeting in Charleville on February 25th, 1915, that it took up the majority of the meeting, and this in the middle of war – for the members doing service for their Fatherland. An anachronistic and not only legally intolerable situation, in times of general mobilization and deployment of mass armies.

With the war advancing, the more ordinary Imperial Kraftfahr-Korps, a purely military organisation, took over the previously elite Men´s Club KFAC, in particular after the call up of the Landsturm in 1915, with AKO from July 6th, 1916[1]. The Kraftfahr-Korps incorporated also the members of the Royal Saxonian Voluntary Automobile Corps.

The war of the  mass armies had now finally reached the sanctuary of past heydays. With the conversion to the Kraftfahr-Korps, the superior position of the gentlemen drivers from pre-war times was finally over.

[1] Preussisches Kriegsministerium Nr. 1100/16 geh. A7V. KA Mü,Mkr 1531, Prod.45-47
ImpressumMail

The German Imperial Automobile Corps and its daggers - By Vic Diehl and H.Hampe