Automobilcorps


The First World War

Pre-War Uniforms


The early Corps-uniform was similar to that of a Prussian Command officer, consistent with the officer-ranking for members with their own vehicles. The colour of the uniform fabric was middle/pale grey, also the trousers, the jacket with added pocket-flaps.

Dark madder red was used for the piping, this colour was similarly reflected on the stand-up collar. A flat red, silver and black braid trimmed the collar and front (of the jacket). On the centre-front sides of the collar, with Staff Officer rankings, was the emblem of the Imperial crown. Coat-tails and epaulette linings were also in madder red.

For parades there had to be a military cap, comparable to the Imperial Colonial Troops. It was turned up on the right side, and had a dark madder red hatband. On the turned-up facing was the black, red and white cockade.

A dark red madder edging around the top of the cap depicted the officer´s Field uniform.



The leather belt and boots were brown and they appeared a little bit yellow when they were new.

For travelling purposes there was an overcoat as well as a cape and a rain-cape.

With the introduction of the field-grey uniform in 1910, the Corps uniform altered accordingly. This also became a field-grey colour, but not a pure grey, more a grey-green tone.

Photo Vic Diehl collection



This picture of an officer of the Freiwilliges Automobile-Korps appeared around 1910 in a special feature of the Berliner Illustrierte Zeitung under the title "Felduniformen der deutschen Armee”. This article introduced the "Feldgrau"uniform to readers of the Zeitung. The DFAK uniform as represented shows both the pistol and Automobile Korps dagger being worn simultaneously.

After the Automobile Corps was incorporated into the military Kraftfahrtruppen in 1916, the Automobile Korps dagger became the first dagger worn by any member of the German army.

ImpressumMail

The German Imperial Automobile Corps and its daggers - By Vic Diehl and H.Hampe